Passport for foreign nationals

If you live in the Netherlands but do not have Dutch nationality and you are not able to obtain a passport in your country of origin, you will need an alien's passport if you wish to travel to a country outside the Netherlands. You can make an appointment with the Municipality to apply for the passport.

Let op!Attention! The person for whom the passport is intended must be present at both the time of application and collection of the passport.


  • You must be able to prove that you are not able to obtain a passport in your country of origin
  • You must be registered in the Municipal Personal Records Database (BRP) in Veldhoven
  • If you've received a general pardon, please bring the confirmation letter (or a copy of the letter) with you when you apply for a passport

Bring with you

  • Your residence permit
  • A passport photograph:
  • Cash or a bank debit card. Payment must be made at the time of application.
  • A declaration from the Embassy of your country of origin confirming that you are not able to apply for a passport. This doesn't apply to children under 16 years who were born in the Netherlands, who have a regular residence permit and whose parents have an asylum residence permit

Children under 18 years must also bring with them

Is the passport for a child or young person up to the age of 18? Then the child must come along to the application and pick up. They may also apply themselves. To apply for a passport up to the age of 18 you need:


Detail Price 2023 Validity
Alien's passport € 63,40 5 years

For children under 16 years the passport is valid for 5 years, or until one day before the child's 16th birthday. The child has to apply for a new passport when he or she reaches the age of 16.

How long does the application procedure take?

It can take between 4 and 6 months for you to receive your alien's passport. The procedure takes a long time because the Immigration and Naturalization Service (IND) and the Ministry of Foreign Affairs play a part in assessing your application.

Lost or stolen

If your passport for foreign nationals has been lost or stolen, you must also notify the Municipality that your old passport is missing, when you apply for a new passport. Declaration is free of charge and can be done online.

Report a lost or stolen passport

If you prefer to go to the town hall for this, make an appointment to do so.

Report the loss of your passport as soon as possible. This is necessary to prevent its abuse.

Travelling with children

If you are travelling to a foreign country with your children and your family name is different from theirs, this can cause problems at passport control in the airport. You will need proof that you are the father or the mother or that you have parental responsibility. This can be obtained from the Marechaussee (Royal Military Police).

Hoe tevreden bent u over deze pagina van de website?

Doe mee aan het onderzoek