Passport for refugees

If you live in the Netherlands and do not have Dutch nationality but you do have an asylum status, you will require a refugee passport if you wish to travel to a country outside the Netherlands. You can make an appointment with the Municipality to apply for the passport.

Let op!Attention! The person for whom the passport is intended must be present at both the time of application and collection of the passport.


  • You must be registered in the Municipal Personal Records Database (BRP) in Veldhoven
  • You must have a permanent or provisional residence permit
  • You must be recognized as a refugee by the immigration authorities and not already have been granted entry to the Netherlands Antilles or Aruba

Bring with you

  • Your residence permit
  • Your current foreign passport, if you have one
  • A passport photograph:
  • Cash or a bank debit card. Payment must be made at the time of application

Children under 18 years must also bring with them

Is the passport for a child or young person up to the age of 18? Then the child must come along to the application and pick up. They may also apply themselves. To apply for a passport up to the age of 18 you need:


Detail Price 2023 Validity
Refugee passport € 63,40 5 years
Refugee passport (fast track) € 120,35 5 years

How long does the application procedure take?

  • You can collect your passport in person 5 working days after making the application, without an appointment, from the counter in the town hall.
  • If you need your passport urgently, you can use the fast-track application procedure. If you apply for the passport before 14.00 hours it will be ready for collection the next working day from 10.00 hours onwards. If you make a fast-track application after 14.00 hours, your passport will be ready for collection 2 working days later. There is an extra charge for a fast-track application.

Lost or stolen

If your passport has been lost or stolen, when you apply for a new passport you must also notify the Municipality that your old passport is missing. Declaration is free of charge and can be done online.

Report a lost or stolen passport

If you prefer to go to the town hall for this, make an appointment.

Report the loss of your passport as soon as possible. This is necessary to prevent its abuse.

Travelling with children

If you are travelling to a foreign country with your children and your family name is different from theirs, this can cause problems at passport control in the airport. You will need proof that you are the father or the mother or that you have parental responsibility. This can be obtained from the Marechaussee (Royal Military Police).

Hoe tevreden bent u over deze pagina van de website?

Doe mee aan het onderzoek